Help building a new kernel...

Christoph Doerbeck A242369 wrote:

> IMHO, there should be a tweak which save kernel ID identifiers (like
> EXTRAVERSION) in the files output by `xconfig` (under the save config to
> file option)...
>
> That way, if you'd want to continue working on the firewall kernel (which
> doesn't have module support), I could LoadConfig and not have to worry about
> the version-ID messing up my normal kernel/modules when I make bzlilo and
> modules_install.
>
> Is there a solution to this problem, or is it better to just have separate
> source trees?
>
> >    In the top level Makefile there are:
> >
> > VERSION = 2
> > PATCHLEVEL = 2
> > SUBLEVEL = 12
> > EXTRAVERSION =
> >
> >    What I've done in the past for my dual processor, is to build with EXTRAVE
> > RSION
> > set to nsmp or smp. Depending
> > on my mood. This will create a directory in the /lib/modules containing the
> > EXTRAVERSION text. I believe that
> > uname -r will also respond properly.  This way you should be able to make mul
> > tiple
> > kernels with the same source
> > tree differing only in configuration. Remember to change your EXTRAVERSION.
> >

> -

    Since I don't believe that xconfig will currently configure this information,
you would have to

           i) extend xconfig (some tcl/tk programming) to write a version_config
file
         ii) replace the version info in the top level makefile with an include
statement of this new file.

 you could also write perl or  awk program to modify the makefile when you get a
new distribution. It could
remove the versioning macros and replace it with an include statement of the file
you write out during the
x-configuration process.

-