Xterm and .Xresources

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, John Chambers,,,781-647-1813 wrote:

> Derek Martin <dmartin at lancity.COM> writes:
> 	On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, John Chambers,,,781-647-1813 wrote:
> 	"cannot allocate colormap entry" and your widget's colors are falling back
> 	to the default white.
>
> OK; I'll stipulate that you're exactly right.  However, you're giving
> the answer to a different question than the one I asked.

I'd say he's right also.

Have you tried remapping colornames in <X>/lib/X11/rgb.txt.  so
that you only have 256 real colors.

See X(1).

Early versions of Quake dealt with this problem dynamically.
It would remap colors making the quake window look good, and
the maps of everything else fell where they may.  Not a general
solutions.

If apps are putting "intuitively" similiar colors adjacent
to each other, there is no good general solution.

rob
rir at mediaone.net

-