Xterm and .Xresources

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Jerry A Clabaugh wrote:

> I was playing around, and I found the reason the popups
> (apparently) break: If I use xterm*geometry: 70x28, the
> popup menus pick up a _pixel_ dimension of 70x28, so they
> are too small to be seen.  If I use xterm*vt100.geometry: 70x28,
> all is well.

YES!  That is exactly why.  I knew that once, but could not recall it to
tell you.  :(

When you do

  xterm*geometry: XYZ

It sets ALL geometry resources to XYZ.  Widgets whose dimensions are in
characters will be XYZ characters, and widgets whose dimensions are in
pixels will be XYZ pixels.

There is a section about this in The O'Rielly book X User Tools by
Mui/Quercia... but I understand that book is out of print.  Too bad, it is
an EXCELLENT X windows resource.

--
Derek D. Martin   |  UNIX System Administrator
derek at netria.com  |  dmartin at lancity.com

-