Xterm and .Xresources

Derek Martin wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, John Chambers,,,781-647-1813 wrote:
>
> > 	DON'T DO THAT!
> >
> > Whever not?  Isn't this how .Xresources is supposed to be used?  Just
> > shouting  at  someone  to NOT DO something isn't very helpful...

I have to admit, I chuckled when I read this.  It sounded like me yelling
at my kid's...

Here's what I like to do... in your login profile add the following (adjusting
for your home directory of course)

`export XAPPLRESDIR=/home/chris/.app-defaults`

now create the directory /home/chris/.app-defaults and edit a file called
XTerm.

XTerm*saveLines: 1024
XTerm*scrollBar: true
XTerm*loginShell: true
XTerm*cursorColor: grey90
XTerm*background: grey25
XTerm*foreground: white
XTerm*vt100.geometry: 80x24
XTerm*internalBorder: 5
XTerm*thickness: 10
XTerm*visualBell: true

you'll want to add a line---

XTerm*fontdefault: ---whatever font you want----

And you should be all set.  No need to reload your Xresources.   This is a much
cleaner way of accomplishing you goal.  To add more resource for various
applications, just create additional resource file in ~/.app-defaults
Here is another example for ~/.app-defaults/XEarth

XEarth*proj:    merc
XEarth*gamma:   2
XEarth*grid:    true