DNS question 2

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Subba Rao wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Following the HOWTO, I have setup a bogus domain for my LAN.
> Everything works fine, except "nslookup" for my domain.
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    umich.edu
> Addresses:  141.211.83.36, 141.211.83.42, 141.211.83.39
>
> > trynix.com
> Server:  localhost
> Address:  127.0.0.1
>
> *** localhost can't find lynix.com: Server failed

Clearly, you have not assigned a name to trynix.com in your db file. This
can be done in one of two ways:

trynix.com.	IN	A	1.2.3.4

or

trynix.com.	IN	CNAME	ns1.trynix.com

The first says that the host whose name is trynix.com has the IP address
1.2.3.4  whereas the second says ns1.trynix.com has an alias "trynix.com"
(cname means canonical name).  Either will work, but some DNS gurus argue
against using CNAME records.

Also, your earlier question about named.boot:

named.boot is the older version of /etc/named.conf -- if you're using the
newer version of named (i.e. if you're running RH 6.0) the named.boot file
is irrelevant.  There is a perl script that will convert valid named.boot
files into named.conf files, if you're familiar with the old format.  If
not, don't worry about it, and stick with named.conf unless you have a
need to learn about named.boot (or you just feel like it)

--
Derek D. Martin   |  UNIX System Administrator
derek at netria.com  |  dmartin at lancity.com

-