Warning: /boot/System.map

> What does this message mean? It is a long list for file names in it.

	This basically means that the System.map file currently installed isn't in
sync with the kernel you are running.

> This message appears, if try to grep for any process from the process
> list.

	The ps command uses the System.map to resolve information for the WCHAN
field, which is why if it is out of sync with the kernel you will get
warning messages.

> What is the System.map file? I am assuming that this is a system file
> and is not be edited.

	The System.map is a text file that shows all of the symbol values. It is
used by programs like klogd, ksymoops to provide more meaningful error
message in case of a kernel fault. When ever you build a new kernel a new
System.map in generated. You should be able to find this file at
/usr/src/linux/System.map . Just copy this over to where the old System.map
file is, usually /System.map or /boot/System.map and you should be all set.

> Any pointers or info is appreciated.

	Unfortunately, information really seems to be scattered about this topic.
You can find a little information in the Documentation/oops-tracing.txt
which is part of the kernel source. Also the PCMCIA-HOWTO (section 7.2) has
a great example on how to use the System.map file to track down a kernel
fault.

- Daniel R. <danielr at ccs.neu.edu> [http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/danielr/]
-