Thanks for help on xf86config, now I need help with Samba

This of course could be a couple things.  I found for my home network that
it was one(both) of these:

a) the user did not have a samba password (given with smbpasswd).  This is
also assuming that you don't have the setting (somewhere in linuxconf) to
automagically have the linux user and samba user (same) passwords (could be
different) syncronized.

b) samba is not set up to use encrypted passwords (win 98 does by default)
(You can also edit the win registry to allow clear text passwords; but this
is obviously a bad idea for many reasons)

Hopefully one of those will work.  If the answer is b), then you may also
run into the problem of now not being able to connect to the samba shares
from the win98 box.  That's because windows forgets about the share (i don't
know why).  Most of the how-tos say that this can be easily fixed by
manually doing a Start->Run and entering the network path to the share.  In
my case I could not reconnect to the shares until I had set up the Linux
file server as a WINS server.

Whew...hope that helps.

Tim Hobbs

-