mkfs

I recently upgraded my old computer and installed debian on it (thanks
Gerry for the revised CD, which solved all the problems I had been
having with the previous one I had).

My computer has a 5-1/4" floppy drive on it. I thought I would see if I
could still use it, so I put a blank floppy in the drive and issued the
command:

    mkfs.ext2 /dev/fd1

The command started executing, reporting:

    mke2fs 1.12, 9-Jul-98 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09

After about a minute or two I got the message:

    /dev/fd1: Invalid argument passed to ext2 library while setting up
superblock.

and the command then exited.

If I use the "-V" option it tells me what library version it's using and
then exits quietly, but I still cant mount it, I get the message:

    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd1,
        or too many mounted file systems

I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Richard Royston

-