DSL vs 56k analog

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> You could do much better with xDSL service. My office mate lives in
> Bedford, just signed up for SDSL (2 lines each is 400Kbps), which will cost
> him about $80.00/Mo. You get one static IP. With IP Masquerade, you can
> set up your private subnet, and you have either a 400Kbps or 800Kbps
> bandwidth. 56K dialup is asymetrical, so if you are running a server, your
> bandwidth is lower. I have not enquired about the ability to host domains.
> He signed up for Flashcom which has been advertizing like crazy. He also
> terminated his local phone service which he never uses.

   I don't doubt any of this.  In fact, I've been dreaming about DSL since
the first article I read on it.  The simple question is, what's the first
month cost of it?  From what I've seen there is a pretty signifcant cash
outlay for provisioning, equipment, and setup charges, and that's if it's
available in my area.  I'd also need to keep a voice line, which is
supposed to be trivial when using DSL, right?
   For now though, the 56k analog is still better than the 28.8 I had up
until three months ago.  Most of the server traffic is incoming anyway, so
it's not a big deal yet.  Of course, I wouldn't mind something faster.

Matthew J. Brodeur, mbrodeur at NextTime.com
Hostmaster, Webmaster for NextTime.com, NextTime.org
http://www.NextTime.com

-