[Fwd: Re: RCN vs Mediaone cable modem experiences?]

Jerry Callen wrote:

[snip]

> Finally, in this day and age, I wholeheartly agree that The Phone Company
> has the attitude that goes with copper. I prefer the attitude that goes
> with fiber optics and other 20th century technologies.

Be careful what you ask for:  the attitude I've seen in dealing with some of these
outfits is that they'll bury their
fiber six inches out from the curb and six inches down and when it breaks they
intend to be rich and gone.

The attitude that goes with OUR fiber is the same one that goes with our air
drying equipment, our preasure alarms,  or anything else we put in the hole:  a
123 year tradition of service with no excuses allowed or expected.  You may not
see that on every occasion, nor from every technician, but we get the important
stuff right.

As for "service with a snarl", consider the cable "artists" whom routinely run
coax up the side of houses, through drainpipes, and anyplace else that saves them
two minutes time, while piggybacking on the grounds my technicians
put in and using the same poles we dug for and erected.  Try following around the
FAA techniciians while they track down sloppy connections that bleed signals into
the aircraft navigation frequencies.  See how much sympathy you get from a cable
company when your bill is overdue:  we have tariff requirements for collections,
they don't.

The attitude of the cable industry is that customers are suckers whom deserve to
get taken.  Ours is that customers
are entitled to service no matter what the weather or the location.

America is the only country in the world where people pick up the telephone and
dial calls without even
bothering to listen for a dial tone.  The only one.  Think about that.

Bill
--
Bill Horne

-