Netscape dies on large HTML file

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, Bill Horne wrote:

> Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:35:29 -0400
> From: Bill Horne <bhorne at banet.net>
> To: discuss at Blu.Org
> Subject: Netscape dies on large HTML file
>
> OK, here's a good one:  I was reading the RFC index
> (http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/INDEX.rfc.html),
> and found that every time I click on Netscape's BACK button
> the browser dies.  It's set for 25MB of disk cache and 32MB
> of ram cache, so I don't think that's the problem.  What
> else should I check?

32MB!?!?!  Are you running out of virtual memory?  Try toning your cache
down.  You really just don't need that much.  You can run xosview or top
to see how your vmem is doing.  If you're using up your swap and memory
stuff will crash.

Personally, I think Netscape is kinda buggy anyway.  It crashes on me on
occasion for no apparent reason whatsoever.  But NOT everytime I hit the
back button!  :)

Derek D. Martin           |  UNIX System Administrator
d_martin at worldnet.att.net |  dmartin at lancity.com

-