Proxy Servers vs IP Masquerade

> In a previous episode Glenn Burkhardt said...
> ::
> :: On a tangential topic, why would anyone want to use proxy services when
> :: IP masquerading was available?
>
> * l4 switches are a massive layering violation.

This only seems important if you're an OSI network theorist.  I've never
seen a real network that fits the OSI model.  Each real network I've seen
does other things for valid reasons.

> * the l3 end-to-end design of the network is impt.

> a more interesting question in my mind is why would you want
> transparent servicing/redirection of any kind of protocol? I can only
> think of one answer: automatic client configuration. Frankly there are
> much better ways to do service discovery and I certainly hope that it
> becomes the norm for this class of problem.
>
> -P

I don't really have an opinion of my own yet - it's forming.  But automatic
client configuration seems like a big win to me, as do the performance
improvements of IP masquerading over proxy servers.  There's also the advantage
of automatic building/configuration of servers themselves - if I'm not
mistaken,
each network server needs to be re-built with a proxy server library or
set of utilities, e.g., SOCKS.

Thanks for the reply.

-