Trial & Error with RedHat 6.0

Christoph Doerbeck wrote

> ... but unfortunately if you look
> around at vender supported products like Legato (backups) and
> TNG (monitoring), they have declared support for RedHat (5.2).
> Look at Dell, Compaq, IBM, etc... it's all stamped with 'RedHat Inside'

and Glenn Burkhardt wrote

> More likely than not, all of these products will run on Debian....

It seems to me that if Glenn is right, and I believe he is, we should be doing
some "Open Source" education/conversion, trying to explain to application
package vendors that linux distributions are infinitely more homogeneous than
different versions of Unix, and we don't have the Open Look/Motif split
either. It seems likely that the only significant difference between the
distributions will be between the desktops and/or the package managers. When I
installed 'applix' on my system I believe it was, in any case, independent of
both these factors; I'm virtually certain it didn't use RPM, or if it did, it
was in a relatively superficial way, and it only depended on XFree86 - if I
wanted to do something with my desktop I was free to do it myself. Any
applications packaged that way should run equally well on any distribution.

If some companies wanted to cover more platforms, and didn't have a vested
interest in maximizing Red Hat's income at the expense of other distributions,
it should be easy enough to include installation procedures/scripts for
several distributions at almost no extra effort. If, in the course of your
investigations, you were to try to install any of these packages on other
distributions, like Debian, and succeeded without having to put much effort
into it, you might mention it to the application vendors and persuade them to
modify their spiels somewhat.

I think the free software community (and the open source community?) have a
vested interest in making sure that the playing field for linux distributions
remains as level as possible. I certainly don't want to have to confront a
situation where Red Hat becomes the only viable supplier. For what it's worth,
my impression is that Red Hat's support isn't superior to other
distributions', and may be inferior to some. Red Hat has done enough things
people don't like that we shouldn't stand by while they (or others for them)
lay claim to things that aren't really so.