Printers

>Hello,
>
>	I'm not sure if anyones tried SuSE 6 - but through yast printer
>set is a breeze.  Doesn't matter if you getting the printer localy or
>remotely through samba or nfs. It's an easy config.  Check it out.
>
>Anthony
>
>On Mon, 3 May 1999, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:
>
> > > I'm new at kernels and new at configuring printers, which is probably
>not a
> > > good combination in this situation. Are there any suggestions about
>this?
> > > Have people successfully configured a printer with kernel 2.2.x? I'm
>trying
> > > to use an HP deskjet if that means anything.
> >
> > Boy, is this annoying to here.  Setting up a printer should be trivial
>by
> > now.  But Sun has made the same mistake - they paid virtually no
>attention
> > to setting up printers, and it's a headache.
> >
> > I was pleased to find with RedHat 5.2 that setting up a Deskjet on my
>machine
> > was as easy as getting a printer to work with Mickysoft boxes.  But it
> > seems that the basic Linux support just isn't there, if this complaint
>is
> > representative.

Well the printer works. Here's what i did. In one of the help documents i
read. It said to add a few lines in the /etc/conf.modules file such as

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options io=whatever io irq = whatever irq'.

Well I did that, and it didn't work, so i took out the 'options' line, and
left in the rest. After that i did a depmod -a. The printer started to work,
but printed garbage. That was fixed by using apsfilter. Before any of this
was done, the kernel was recompiled, and
'make modules' followed by 'make modules_install' was executed in
/use/src/linux after all the compilation of the kernel.

I do agree that the printer support needs a little work. But i should come
together in due time. i hope that this can help anyone else that has
trouble.

--Brad