programming question

I'm trying to cause an executable to change it's default buffering scheme
from outside the program. I need this for an IPC application.

What I thought _should_ work was

setvbuf stdout to the new buffering scheme
execl the target program

Supposedly an exec should cause all open file attributes to be the same in
the target program, but when the target starts up, it always changes to
the default buffering scheme (line buffer for term output, full buffer for
file output). This happens on HP-UX and Linux and SunOS.

For some targets, I don't have the source, so I can't insert fflushes and
setvbufs.

Anyone know anyway around this?

Thanks

-