followup from nite with SAMBA

TWDM wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 T> can ping locally on each machine, but can not ping machine
 T> to machine

 T> no leds lite..if I have condonductivity something will
 T> lightup?....try another new out of the pack cable????

 T> any other suggestions welcome   Linux to linux first
 T> step...then Linux to 98.....

If no LEDs light, then you have some sort of miswire.

How are you wiring this?  You realize, I hope, that you cannot connect two
Ethernet cards together directly with a standard cable?  The usual method is to
have a concentrator (sometimes called a "hub") in the middle, and then use a
standard cable between the concentrator and each Ethernet card.

In the special case where you are connecting exactly and only two machines, you
can use a non-standard "crossover" cable to connect the two Ethernet cards
directly without a concentrator.

-- Mike

-