Sendmail

BTW, the first method suggested (telnet to port 25) worked fine.

One thing I tried (before asking here) was to type 'sendmail' at
the command line.  It goes right into input mode without a title
line, which is odd for any application.  You usually get _something_,
like version, or licence info, or brief instructions on getting help.
Everything else I've ever tried will respond to a -h, or --help, or
-v, or something similar - just like the about box in a Win app.
Sendmail is like a Win app without an about box.  But since it almost
always runs in the background, like pppd or sshd, that is also
not extremely unusual.

My previous job involved a lot of Win programming, and I found the APIs
very difficult to follow, and exactly which button needed pushing
was difficult for me to locate. Unix programming seems like a breeze by
comparison.

But, when I played Riven in Windows 95 I loved it - you don't have
to keep switching from mouse to keyboard, losing your home keys.
You can play the whole game using only the mouse.  That makes sense.

I think the debate over user-friendliness might have more to do with the
individual (right- or left-brain, or something similar) than with
the interface.  All a user interface can strive for is to be
consistent and powerful. Intuitiveness is in the eye of the beholder.

That said, I think the Win interface is wildly inconsistent, and
therefore not a candidate for being called intuitive.  I think this
inconsistency is a result of its backward compatibility.

Now I'm off to try the other methods.

Thanks all.

-