Uses for a couple boxes full of Compaq 2.1gig Fast-Wide SCSI2?

I recently got approximately twenty of these drives back after an
organization wide upgrade of our Vines servers. Rather than surplus them,
I'm wondering what use they would be on a PC? I'm not very familiar with the
SCSI architecture, but I would assume these drives would outperform an IDE
setup by a significant margin, especially on a system under heavy load.

Is SCSI2 limited to eight devices? I'm wondering if I could install eight
(or more?) of these drives on a 486/100 (ISA) or Pentium 75 (PCI) running
linux and try and then I'll try to justify to my coworkers why there are
cables and drives snaking out into the hallway. ;)

Any ideas for applications? I imagine this would be an excellent fileserver
for my local office .. Or possibly setup some kind of proxy to increase the
speed that people "access" the web?

What would recommended SCSI2 fast-wide ISA or PCI adapters be?  Do the
Adaptec's work well with linux?

Mark

-