GNU/Linux naming debate

Remember that meeting a few years ago (in the latter days of the BCS
Linux SIG) when Richard Stallman visited us unannounced to make
his case that the group should be called the GNU/Linux group?

The debate continues.  Look on the front page of the Sunday Globe
business section for Hiawatha Bray's story about the open software
movement, complete with photos of Torvalds and Stallman.  Linus gets
two photos, RMS gets one bigger one.

News reporters seem to focus their comments on how Linux affects
Microsoft's future prospects.  Personally, I see Linux having a far
greater long-term impact on Sun Microsystems than on Microsoft.  Every
time I tear my hair out with another Solaris installation or configuration
headache, I wish it were Linux instead.  My argument that is as of today, a
completely customized Solaris system is capable of running just about
exactly the same mix of tools as a Linux system.  Microsoft's systems
address a different software niche.

The Globe story is online today at:
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/101/business/Going_to_the_source+.shtml.

Poll:  who's right?  Did Linus tender Linux as a contribution to the
GNU project, or did RMS tender the GNU environment to the Linux
community?  ;-)

-rich
-