FTP from masq'd machine

Tim Riley wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 TR> I have a windows machine that's masqueraded under my linux
 TR> box.  When trying to ftp on the windows machine, it often
 TR> hangs on the 'ls' command on many sites.  Does anyone know
 TR> what causes this?  I have the ip_masq_ftp module loaded.

If it works on some sites and not on others, my best guess is that the site is
trying to do something that does not work through masquerade, such as an "auth"
query (which is answered by "identd").  Technically, a directory listing by FTP
is just a file transfer like any other, except that the file is generated on
the fly by the FTP server and displayed to the FTP client user rather than
stored on disk.  Does "get" work where "ls" or "dir" does not?

-- Mike

-