Disk partitioning and swap

I disagree with this:
/sbin and /usr/sbin are intended for static binaries. Before NFS, /usr was
normally a mounted file system. Today, many installations export the /usr
and /usr/local file systems. Normally, the /var file system is local to the
system for the reasons you pointed out. In old Unix systems, before /var
came along there was /usr/spool, /usr/tmp. Some utilities were hard coded
to use /usr/spool and /usr/tmp. That is why these are normally symbolicly
linked to their /var counterparts. Some utilities are hard coded to use /tmp.
Some people like to set up /tmp as a symlink to /var/tmp. This is
dangerous because it make /tmp unavailable for single user mode unless
the /var file system is physically the same file system as root.

My whole point in the discussion, however, was to look at things in the
context of a novice home user who might be moving over from Windows.