Help with ftp & telnet

Bill Horne wrote:

> I've a friend who's trying to get RH 5.2 going on both a Compaq 560 and
> a clone box, and he's having a lot of trouble with both ftp and telnet.
>
> If you know of any HOWTO's or FAQ's for a technical professional (he's
> an NT administrator), please provide a pointer.
>
> I don't have full details, and he can't subscribe to the list where he
> is, so please excuse the lack of data.
>
> Problems include:
>
> * FTP daemon appears to be a Beta release (Cheapbytes RH 5.2 CD).  Is
> this current?
>
> * The hosts file requires some "one time" entries in order to Telnet,
> but then ignores them.
We have both ftp and telnet on the blu server, which is RH 5.2 out of the box.
There are a couple of ftp clients on the distribution, ftp and ncftp.
ncftp is the newer, more interactive version.
Here is a URL for the Linux Howtos: http://www.linuxhq.com/HOWTO/
Both ftp and telnet are very straight forward. All he should need to do is to consult the man pages. He can always go to the Red Hat site, or one of its mirrors and download the latest RPMs. Without details, it's hard to provide any sound advice. There are some files in /etc which affect access to inbound ftp.
He will need to have ftp and telnet enabled in /etc/inetd.conf:

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a
telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd

WRT: Hosts file. There should be at least one entry for localhost. Normally,
the local machine name and ip address also goes into the hosts file.
Make sure that /etc/resolv.conf is properly configured for name server.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix

-