SSH

Dan Geer wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 DG> while we are at this -- I know about forwarding X,
 DG> but is there any obvious way to mount NFS through
 DG> this (I strongly assume the answer is "Hell, no!")

It's an interesting question.  SSH will forward TCP circuits, but not UDP.
There are two solutions I can think of, however.

First, you could configure an IP tunnel between your NFS client and server.
Then NFS would pass its UDP frames through the IP tunnel, which would actually
be maintained with a TCP circuit.  You could then pass this TCP circuit through
any compatible encryption scheme, including SSH.

Second, you could use SMB or some other networking system that utilizes TCP as
its native transport.  NFS has a lot of problems, anyway, such as requiring
synchronization of the password files.

-- Mike

-