Newbie question

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Mark Glassberg wrote:

> I just installed a new motherboard and got the following three messages
> concerning unknown pci devices.  Would someone please explain them to me.

> Mar  5 14:59:36 valley kernel: Probing PCI hardware.
> Mar  5 14:59:36 valley kernel: Unknown PCI device. PCI Vendor id=1b. PCI Device id=597.
> Mar  5 14:59:36 valley kernel: PLEASE MAIL POTTER at CAO-VLSI.IBP.FR your hardware description and /proc/pci.
> Mar  5 14:59:36 valley kernel: Unknown PCI device. PCI Vendor id=1b. PCI Device id=8598.
> Mar  5 14:59:36 valley kernel: PLEASE MAIL POTTER at CAO-VLSI.IBP.FR your hardware description and /proc/pci.
> Mar  5 14:59:36 valley kernel: Unknown PCI device. PCI Vendor id=1b. PCI Device id=586.
> Mar  5 14:59:36 valley kernel: PLEASE MAIL POTTER at CAO-VLSI.IBP.FR your hardware description and /proc/pci.

This is saying that your kernel doesn't can't identify the PCI product
with a vendor id 1b and a device id 597.  This is a harmless message.
A newer kernel may make the message go away.

This doesn't not mean that the kernel cannot correctly identify the
device to drive it.  For instance there are probably dozens of PCI NE2000
ethernet clone cards, each with their own vendor and device IDs.
The kernel will run the cards fine, but will report this "warning"
if the card is not listed in the kernel.

--
rob
rir at phavl.ultranet.com

-