Problem with RH5.2 and sound

Greetings,

I been configuring my newly installed RedHat 5.2 system
and into the following problem...

I cannot get my network interface card (NIC) to load when I configure
sound.  Everything is setup with module support, and no matter what
io address (tried 240,300,340) and irq (tried 2,5,10) I select for my NIC
card, if the sound module loads first... the NIC won't work.  The work
around I have found is to turn "sound off" in conf.modules, and then
"modprobe pas2" at the end of the boot process in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99sound.

My hardware consists of a PAS16 sound card, Linksys Ne2000 10Mb NIC.  Has
anyone had similar experiences and/or a better workaround?

Here's the work around for conf.modules:

 alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
 alias eth0 ne
 options ne io=0x300
 alias sound off
 options sb pas2=1
 options pas2 io=0x388 irq=11 dma=1 joystick=1

The working output from /proc/interrupts:

 0:      39236   timer
 1:        494   keyboard
 2:          0   cascade
 3:       9057 + serial
 8:          1 + rtc
10:        401   NE2000
11:          0   PAS16
12:      21309 + bttv
13:          1   math error
14:       4426   aic7xxx
15:         14   aha1542

The working output from /proc/ioports:

0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-009f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : npu
02f8-02ff : serial(auto)
0300-031f : NE2000
0330-0333 : aha1542
03c0-03df : vga+
03f0-03f5 : floppy
03f7-03f7 : floppy DIR
03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
6000-60be : aic7xxx

The working output from /proc/dma:

 1: PAS16
 4: cascade
 6: aha1542

Here is the original /etc/conf.modules which couldn't load the ne:

 alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
 alias eth0 ne
 options ne io=0x300
 alias sound pas2