IRQ

Brad Noyes wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 BN> I tried editting lilo.conf, but that didn't work. One the
 BN> boot message  i get "eth0" 3com 3c905b cyclone 100basetx at
 BN> 0x1000, ff:ff:ff:ff:ff,  irq 11". I put in the lilo.conf
 BN> file ether=05. I would thing that it  would put it at irq 5
 BN> but it didn't. I did run /sbin/lilo so it did  take effect.
 BN> The boot messages also say the it is setting eth0 to
 BN> promiscuous mode. I'm still stuck, but i will still try to
 BN> play with  the lilo.conf

It is unusual for Linux to pick up wrong IRQs on PCI cards, and the 3Com
drivers are pretty solid.  One thing you should make sure of is that you have
the CMOS setup for your machine configured to assign IRQ11 as level triggered.
Generally, the CMOS setup for the machine allocates a bunch of IRQs to the PCI
pool if they are not reserved for the ISA slots.  (Since your machine has no
way of knowing which IRQs are in use by ISA cards, you have to set this
manually in CMOS setup.)  The PCI BIOS simply chooses a free IRQ and assigns it
to your PCI Ethernet card, and Linux finds out which one from the PCI BIOS.

-- Mike

***