IRQ

>I tried editting lilo.conf, but that didn't work. One the boot message
>i get "eth0" 3com 3c905b cyclone 100basetx at 0x1000, ff:ff:ff:ff:ff,
>irq 11".

All 'ff' is definitely not a valid Ethernet address :)

If you read the Ethernet howto, you'll see it means the system didn't
actually find a card there ("The 0xff values arise because that is the
value that is returned when one reads a vacant i/o port.").

Moreover,

  The support for the Cyclone `B' revision was only recently added.  To
  use this card with older v2.0 kernels, you must obtain the updated
  3c59x.c driver from Donald's site at:

  Vortex-Page <http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html>

Which version of the kernel are you using?

> I put in the lilo.conf file ether=05. I would thing that it
>would put it at irq 5 but it didn't.

Should be something like "ether=5,0x1000,eth0" at least. But I don't think
it works with PCI. Also, it won't change the actual IRQ used by your card,
only the IRQ Linux is probing. [I assume at least one of these is not what
you wanted. :) ]

>The boot messages also say the it is setting eth0 to
>promiscuous mode.

I'd translate that as "You told me there's a card here. I'll try to manage.
Bummer."

>I'm still stuck, but i will still try to play with
>the lilo.conf

May I recommend you read the afore-mentionned "Vortex page" before?-)
Looks like your driver was able to "detect" the card (I said that by
reading the message you got during the boot), more or less. Maybe you just
need an updated version of the driver?

St)B?phane

***