BLU discuss - List config changes

No, the only people that get double-responses are the people who are
actually in the To: and CC: fields.  For example, Jonathan and John
will both receive double responses, but no one else will.. (And I'll
probably receive double-responses to this message, although my mailer
will hide them from me ;)

When the reply-to field exists, most mailers wont put the sender's
address in the response.  THis means that if I want to respond
privately I have to manually cut-and-paste the sender out of the
original message and into my reply header, and then remove the list.
Now, I get both the list (because it was in the To or CC field) and
the sender, and I only need to cut out the list to send a private
message.

I think it is safe to assume that most people on the BLU list are
intelligent enough to cut out the list address when they want to send
a personal reply to a message.  At least _I_ would like to think that
people on this list are that intelligent.

Have a nice day.

-derek

PS: In case you care, I use GNUS to read my mail, and it has a
wonderful feature where it only shows me duplicate messages once --
which means I only see one copy of replies, no matter how many times I
receive it.

Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold at buddydog.org> writes:

> > + Reply_to removed: When I first set up these lists four years ago, I set
> > the reply_to option so replies get sent to the list, which seemed like the
>
> This is of course, a "you'll never win this" problem. I run a few mailing lists
> and there just isn't a right way, despite the very reasoned reply in the
> link you posted. And you'll see why as I've done a Reply to all here - you're
> going to get two of these messages, one direct from me (where Reply and Reply
> to all will do the same thing) and one via the mailing list, where Reply goes
> just to me and Reply to all goes to me *and* the mailing list. So you have
> to parse the message header to see which one you should do, think about which
> response you want to do, and then remember to actually do it.
>
> Of course, Mr. Rosenthal's arguments are all very good. But if 90% of the
> replies get posted to the group, then everyone is going to start to get
> double messages in response. Yech.

> | Jonathan Arnold (mailto:jdarnold at buddydog.org)    |
> | Engineering Manager       Roger Wagner Publishing |
> | http://people.ne.mediaone.net/jdarnold            |

***