Linux on older machines

Now that you mention it, I had this same experience about two weeks ago.

You will notice upon adding the supplemental disk that the progress bar
does not draw on the screen for ftp installs.  I, too, added another 8 MB
of RAM and installed away.  I think it would have gone better if I had
partitioned some swap and then tried the install, but I didn't spend the
time.  I just went on a RAMpage!

My son's 486 thrashes with 16 MB of RAM when running X, so I would suggest
getting more RAM, especially for older boxes.

Chuck Young
GTE Internetworking

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Jonathan Finger wrote:

> Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 14:34:08 -0500
> From: Jonathan Finger <jfinger at hmm.com>
> To: discuss at BLU.ORG
> Subject: Linux on older machines
>
>     I just tried to intall Redhat 5.2 on a 66MHz 486 with 8 Meg of
>     Ram. The installation software thrashed very badly. It litterally
>     took minutes for keystrokes to be processed. I eventually
>     managed to get the swap partition enabled and then the keystroke
>     response was OK.
>
>     However, 8 hours later when only 10% of the software was installed,
>     I terminated the install.
>
>     I added 8 Meg of (borrowed) memory and the install worked fine.
>     (about 1 hour)
>
>     I then removed the extra 8 Meg of memory and the system works fine.
> ***
> Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
> "subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org

***
Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org