Help for Linux on bare-bones 386

Sirs,

Thanks for reading this.  My mail server has been sending me reject
messages, so I'm sorry if this is a dup.

I've just subscribed to the discuss and volunteers lists, and since
the
confirmation message I've received says "no info", I'm unable to find
the FAQ for them.  Please excuse what are probably duplicate
questions.

I've a 386 with 8MB Ram, 5.25 floppies, a 40MB hard drive, with a
monochrome monitor. Please tell me if it's a viable platform for
"home
office" use, running Linux.  I want to give the machine to my sister,
as
a step up from an 8088 running DOS and Ashton-Tate FrameWork.  Of
course, a 386 is unusable for Windows, so I'm interested in running
Linux on it.

Please answer these questions, either on the list of via email as you
wish.  Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Other than the obvious choice of reusing DOS and FrameWork, what
applications would be best for this machine?

2. Can I run a word processor (like emacs) or a spreadsheet on it if
use Linux?

3. Since the machine has no CD-ROM, what options do I have for
obtaining/loading the software?

4. Will I need more RAM or hard disk?

5. How much of a learning curve will an experienced DOS user have in
stepping up to Linux?  My sister has never used a "point and drool"
interface, so she's used to using a command line, but I don't want to
give her a system that's going to need several months to master:  she
has five kids and little spare time.

6.  How much of a learning curve will *I* have to climb in order to
get
this system working?  I have used UNIX at school, and know the basic
commands, but I haven't programmed in years and have never assembled
an
OS from source.  What time commitment should I plan for?

Again, thanks for your help.

Bill Horne
781 784-7287 (Sharon, MA)

***
Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org