Please tell me if a 386 is realistic for Linux

On Monday, January 04, 1999 7:35 AM, Jerry Feldman
[SMTP:gaf at mediaone.net] wrote:
> The general list only goes to 3 people who run the blu. That would
> be a  better message to be sent to discuss at blu.org.

Thanks, but there's something wrong with my feed:  I sent in the
question, but never saw the echo.  (Of course, I subscribed,
confirmed the subscription, etc.)

>To answer your question, I don't think that Linux will fit on a 40MB
hard drive. It could
> probably live with 8MB. Also, none of the distributions that I am
aware of are
> distributed on 5.25" media. Upgrading the 386 is not worth it. You
should be
> able to find a used 486 or Pentium system with a few hundred MB of
disk and
> CD-ROM for under $500 complete.

Well, I haven't got $500 to give to my sister, and she damn sure
hasn't got it to spend, so I have to find a cheaper solution if she's
going to upgrade.  How about these options:

-  Use my machine at work to transfer files from a CD to floppy
-  Put on ONLY the kernel, a word processor, and a spreadsheet
-  Format the HD for Linux only, without any DOS partition

Would that save enough space to allow a 40MB HD to work?

Again, thanks for your help.

Bill Horne

***
Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org