Mediaone cable modems

>The fwtk was never sold, but it was and is licensed software.  All you
>need to do is consent to the licensing and you can download and use it at
>no monetary cost.
>I was unaware that it was ever free in the "true" sense.

Oops. Sorry, it has never been (otherwise it should still be!). I should
have stated "could be freely obtained and redistributed".

>Stephane, perhaps I am mistaken and you can fill me in on the
>history?

See the PS at the end of this mail, which discusses the differences between
the licenses. But you made the point.

>Anyway, the IPFW runs much faster, but is not as secure as the fwtk.  It
>depends on your needs (like everything else, huh?)

[Time passes..]

I read the IP-Chains HOWTO: one doesn't need TIS anyway on Linux (at least
for the application which was the subject of this discussion).

The "ipportfw" option of the 2.1.x kernels (IP Port Forwarding), configured
with "ipmasqadm" (look at http://juanjox.home.ml.org/ for more info), will
do something similar in the kernel (that's what you mentionned).

Otherwise the IP-chains Howto mentions "redir", which looks like it does
what I expected from "plug-gw". [See on sunsite, in
/system/network/daemons/, for redir-1.1. However, after a quick review of
the code I wouldn't recommend using the FTP extension (hint: sprintf). :} ]
 Combining the REDIRECT statement of IP-Chains with this small program will
do the trick, too.

Thanks Chuck for making me do my homework!
Hope this would have helped some of us. :)

St)B?phane

PS:

For completeness, here are the major differences between the previous
versions of the license and the current one for TIS-fwtk [I used the
LICENSE file from V1.3(e), the latest of the 1.x series; document title is:
"TRUSTED INFORMATION SYSTEMS, INC - TIS FIREWALL TOOLKIT LICENSE
AGREEMENT", "Version 1.0", dated October 20, 1993. The latest freely
redistribuable (spelling?) version of the 2.0 serie (V2.0beta1) has the
same license and is dated February 9, 1996.]

Old version:
" This license permits you to use, copy, and modify the Toolkit
" solely for your organization's use.

New version:
" This license permits you to use, copy, and modify the FWTK solely for
" the internal, non-commercial, use of your organization.

Also, the following paragraphs have been added:
"     b. The use of the FWTK is limited to your internal, non-commercial
"             use only. Neither the FWTK, in its entirety, nor any part or
"             element of the FWTK, is being licensed  to you for use with,
"             or in, any hardware, firmware, software, program or other
"             product (i) which is sold;  (ii) for which you receive any
"             revenue; or (iii) which is provided by you (even for free)
"             in conjunction with any commercial activity.
"
"          c. You are prohibited from disclosing to any other person,
"             organization or entity the on-line location of the FWTK source
"             code and/or documentation which will be provided to you
following
"             your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this license.

So the old code could be freely redistributed (i.e. mirrored on a ftp
server), while the new one cannot.
None of the versions is OpenSource(tm).

***
Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org