(fwd) disabling remote console

>>      I should not have been, but I was surprised when I could remotely log
>> in as root.  I would like to disable this so remote users would have to
>> log on under their account and then su to do anything as root.  In Solaris
>> we put a line CONSOLE=/dev/console in the file /etc/default/login.  I
>> could not find a similar place on my Linux host.  Is there one?

I think you should have a look at /etc/securetty (list "devices" onto which
you can log as root - usually should only contain /dev/tty13 ;) ).
Regarding su, /etc/ttys limits the ports one can use to "su".

Hope this helps,
Stephane

***
Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org