Meeting Reminder - 07/15/98 -- BLU Inferno in A/C Comfort!

Christoph Doerbeck wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 CD> which brings up my question. how did the demo go?  also, the
 CD> little shoebox pc he had with him.  I've seen it in Linux
 CD> Journal, but cannot find a reference to it.  Does anyone
 CD> know the name, web site, etc... of where I could acquire
 CD> such a nifty little gadget??

I wasn't there, but maybe you are thinking of the Toshiba Libretto?  I have a
model 50CT, a nice machine about the size of a VHS tape with a 75 MHz Pentium,
16 MB RAM (mine is expanded to 32 MB), and a 772 MB hard drive.  It runs Linux
well, but you need a currently experimental driver module to support the
included PCMCIA floppy drive.  A friend of mine even made up a single floppy
Linux boot disk for his 50CT.

The other problem is that there is only one PCMCIA slot, so you need to install
off floppies at least to the point where you can boot Linux without the floppy
drive using the PCMCIA slot if you want to use either a PCMCIA Ethernet card or
a PCMCIA CD-ROM drive.  Even X/Windows works well, since the screen is a
6.1-inch active matrix display with a C&T 65550 chipset solidly supported under
XFree86.

You can often buy refurbished 50CTs for about $550-600 from JEM in Cambridge,
http://www.jembasement.com.

-- Mike

***
Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org