Media-One Express, IP Masquerading

bill wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 b> I had Mediaone installed two weeks ago.  I tried dhcpcd and
 b> it pulled in all of the same information I copied from W95.
 b> It puts the info in files in /etc/dhcpc.  Look at the man
 b> pages for dhcpcd.  I have not yet had my ip address change,
 b> but I think all I have to do is run it and then make the
 b> changes manualy.  You can pass it the name of a script to
 b> execute. You could write one to make the changes for you.
 b>      I also now have my own domain name and it seems to be
 b> working ok.  I still have to add my second card and set up
 b> masquerading for my other machines.

That's good news.  Whatever you do, be careful not to advertise yourself as a
DHCP server so that MediaOne can see it.  They will (understandably) flip out
and cut off your service instantly.  Anyone who runs as a DHCP server could, in
theory, convince other people's machines to take addresses from them instead of
from MediaOne, a huge security danger.

-- Mike