Embedded linux request (fwd)

The following comes from Thad Starner at the Media Lab.

Email: jabr at blu.org / URL: http://www.blu.org
Unix Systems Administrator, Polaroid / abreauj at polaroid.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: testarne at media.mit.edu
Subject: article for Circuit Cellar

Have a favor to ask of the Linux community.  Have already asked the
wearables crowd.

A couple issues or so ago in Circuit Cellar, I flamed about how bad
Windows CE is for embedded systems.  Presented Linux, OS-9, and a few
others as better choices.  Since then I've been bombarded with
requests of "how do I embed Linux."

As several people have shown, its trivial if you have 10M of flash or
so.  Just compile the kernal with bare bones and its tiny.  Add
whatever apps you need.  Have seen a full Linux with X, xdvi, fonts,
etc. in 12M!

So does someone have some cycles to PLEASE write a quick article to
Circuit Cellar showing how to step through the process.  Maybe put a
small version of the real-time kernal on a web page somewhere for
convenience/reference?  This is all of a day's hack and worth a
publication.  Just don't have the time myself.

Matter of fact, this would make a great series of articles in Circuit
Cellar showing step by step how to do real-time control in Linux.
Such a thing would really be helpful for those people who need to show
the value/ease of Linux over WinCE.  Circuit Cellar can be found at

http://www.circellar.com/

John, can you forward this to the Boston group?

						Thad Starner
						MIT Media Laboratory
						Wearable Computing Project