excerpt from linux-kernel mailing list

>From owner-linux-kernel-outgoing at vger.rutgers.edu Wed Apr  1 19:02:31 1998
Date:   Wed, 1 Apr 1998 12:08:08 -0500
From: Myrdraal <myrdraal at jackalz.dyn.ml.org>
To: linux-kernel at vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Disturbing information.
Sender: owner-linux-kernel at vger.rutgers.edu

Hi, I noticed this disturbing information that you all may not have
aware of.

--------------------------------------

REDMOND, Wash. - Mar 31, 1998 - Microsoft Corp. today announced it
has acquired Transmeta Inc.. "We believe that Linus Torvalds, known
for his accomplishments creating the Linux kernel can be very valuable
to us," said Steve Ballmer, executive vice president, Microsoft Corp.,
"We believe that his vast experience in operating system design will
allow us to continue our tradition of innovation and excellence,", he
added. Linus Torvalds has declined to comment.

Transmeta Inc. will continue its operations  in Santa Clara, Calif. as
a wholly owned subsidary of Microsoft reporting to Jennings. Financial
terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (NASDAQ "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in
software for personal computers. The company offers a wide range of
products and services for business and personal use, each designed
with the mission of making it easier and more enjoyable for people to
take advantage of the full power of personal computing every day.

Microsoft, and Transmeta are either registered trademarks or trademarks
of Microsoft Corp. in the United States and/or other countries.