Media-One Express, IP Masquerading

> As for the on-site technician's non-support of Linux--I wouldn't worry
> about it.  If you have no inclination to run Win95 or a Mac at your house,
> have a friend lend you a notebook PC long enough for the Media One
> technician to test your installation.  Then plug in your Linux box
> and enter your IP parameters.  The tech from CAI was fascinated with
> my Linux setup but I didn't bother putting in the parameters before he
> left; I was happy enough just to be surfing along at 2 megabits on my
> Win95 box for the moment.  (I finally got around to the IP masquerade
> stuff about two weeks later...)

  Really, now how did your laptop work on your cable modem? Because like
well it wouldn't work, because Mediaone uses your ethernet cards internal
ethernet address, and from what I hear only Mediaone Tech's can change
what ethernet address the cable modem will accept...
 Just something to ponder, I may be wrong but I doubt it.

 -Leif

 ps. I will be at the install fest w/ my firewall if anyone wants
     to check it out.