rpm quagmire resolved (sort of)

Well,

for anyone who cares, I bailed out and reloaded my system this weekend.
In fact, I backed out to version 4.1 of redhat, even though I have the
4.2 CD set.  I found too much difficulty getting sound options to
compile with the 2.0.30 kernel (PAS 16 soundcard).  I've never had this
trouble customizing the 2.0.27 kernel.  The old kernel runs just great,
so for now, I'm back to a 4.1 base + rpm updates for various components
(not including the kernel!).

Here's a gerneral quesiton, what is your favorite method of reading and
sending email?  I use exmh in conjunction with fetchmail (pop3), but I
find the sequence of steps to get/xmit mail to be rather crappy.

- Christoph