Adaptec 2940 controllers

> Subject: Adaptec 2940 controllers
> From: "Jerry Feldman" <gaf at zk3.dec.com>
>
> I recently tried to upgrade the former Boston Computer Society server from
> an old version of Slackware. The system has a 2940w controller which is one
> of the ones that the 2.0 kernels don't like.
> I have tried several flavors of 2.0 kernels mostly 2.0.18 and 2.0.32.
> Other than obtaining a different controller (which I am planning to do),
> does anyone know of a driver or patch that could solve the problem.
>
> The symptom is that during boot, the kernel detects the SCSI controller,
> but does not detect any devices. During installation from ATAPI CD ROM, the
> controller is properly probed. Most of the messages that I have seen posted
> to newsgroups say essentially "don't use adaptec 2940" with Linux.
>
> I am not averse to replacing the controller, but since the system is
> co-located at an ISP, access to it is limited. If anyone can point me to a
> reasonable patch, I am planning on working on the system for an hour or 2
> tomorrow.
>
> BTW: I have the system working on the original 1.0.xxx kernel.
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------+
> Jerry Feldman            Digital Unix Development Environment
> Digital Equipment Corp.  (work)gaf at zk3.dec.com (home)gaf at mediaone.net
> 110 Spitbrook Rd.        Mailstop: ZKO3-2/W17
> Nashua, NH 03062-9987    (603)884-2970, DTN:264-2970

I wish you hadn't sent this, because now my computer is going know that it's
not supposed to work, although it's been running flawlessly with a 2940
controller for almost a year.

It runs fine with Redhat 4.1 (although the SCSI boot image must be used to do
the install; the boot floppy with the system isn't enough), and with Redhat 4.2
(no special attention/action required).

My controller is a PCI bus model, with SCSI Ultra-Wide (AIC-7881U rev 0).

Both editions of RedHat have 2.0 kernels (2.0.18 and 2.0.30).

Any way, if my computer now stops working, it's your fault!