Linux/Internet/Intranet

CISA AHD R&D Software wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 CARS> regarding e-mail:
 CARS> 1) each user will have its own e-mail address that is like
 CARS> name at company.com
 CARS> 2) if the mail is between 2 people of the
 CARS> company the traffic should remain within the LAN without
 CARS> modem usage.

You will need to run named on your Linux machine and it will have to be
authoritative for your local domain.  This will prevent the machine from
dialing out to resolve name service queries in connection with delivering
internal mail.

 CARS> 3) the modem dialup every x minutes and exchanges the
 CARS> incoming mail and the outgoing mail for each user and then
 CARS> quit the phone line.

Look at the diald package.  It does pretty much what you want.

 CARS> regarding browsing:
 CARS> 1) every user should be able to navigate from its own Pc
 CARS> automatically getting the modem line and closing the line if
 CARS> nobodyelse is navigating.

This is part of the diald package.  If your ISP gives you a block of real IP
addresses, then you can use conventional routing and give one of these IP
addresses to each of your machines.  If your ISP gives you only one IP address,
then you need to allocate private IP addresses (192.168.x.x) to the user
machines and implement "masquerading" via ipfwadm.

 CARS> We would like to know if some tools are available for the
 CARS> above jobs. We are sure that this problem has been already
 CARS> encounterd from someonelse. We thank you for all kind of
 CARS> information you will provide us.

Yes, your configuration is very common.  There are "howto" documents about all
of the software packages I mentioned.  Start with www.ssc.com/linux.  Also:

   diald -- http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Diald.html

   named -- http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

   mail  -- http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/unmaintained/Mail-HOWTO