Reliable version?

> From gaf at mediaone.net  Sat Nov 29 20:31:00 1997
> Subject: Re: Reliable version?
>
> My experience as a software engineer tells me to stick with something
> stable, but some of the new features are somewhat necessary. My
> preference would be to try to figure out where the problem is, maybe
> just rebuild the kernel.

hi,

Could someone (as Linux users) kindly inform me how I might go
about working around a kernel panic when I try to recompile the
kernel (2.0.0) on my laptop.  I get 'kernel paging errors' at
different places in the compilation process.
1. Thinking it was hardware, I tried switching out a 8MB and
   16MB memory module with no effect.
2. Thought bad kernel image, so I compiled an image using a
    486 desktop, and moved the image over.  No difference.
What should be my approach in tackling this?

An easier question that I have is a sendmail phobia, ahem, problem;
How do you map the (envelope?) From: addresses of outgoing mail
from user1 at mydomain to user2 at my_isp's_domain.  (Having the correct
address facilitates replies from others.)  You use the DM in
sendmail.cf to masquerade the domain, but what about username
translation.  I assume it has something to do with (from sendmail.cf)
    # Generics table (mapping outgoing addresses)
    #Kgenerics dbm /etc/genericstable
1. ...but, I could be wrong about the approach
2. What is the structure of that file? Similar to /etc/aliases?
   Documentation references July 94 issue of Linux Journal as
   an excellent source, but I don't have it.
Before I dig out the source, am I even headed in the right
direction?

TIA,
-Kuan

PS. send replies to kuanlee at erols.com.  (I shouldn't be sending
      mail as root, but it illustrates my problem with mail headers.)