Reliable version?

Rich Braun wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 RB> Don't have an answer about your Red Hat installation, but I
 RB> have a query about stabilizing my system.  It's been running
 RB> stable for the year since I set it up from the WGS Linux Pro CD
 RB> version 4.0.  Then a few weeks ago (recall my posts on this
 RB> list) I built a 2.0.31 kernel to support IP masquerading.  The
 RB> 1.2.13 kernel never crashed; the new one crashes about once a
 RB> week, with a constantly repeating error message on the console
 RB> (unfortunately it doesn't log anywhere and I don't remember it
 RB> now--last crash was 11 days ago).

There are some things in flux related to SCSI drivers as of 2.0.31.  If you
could provide more information about the actual errors, it would help.  You
might also try 2.0.29; it is slightly more stable.

 RB> Should I bag my old installation and overhaul it with a new
 RB> distribution, or should I take the time to figure out what's
 RB> wrong with this setup?  Or should I just go to one of the 2.1
 RB> experimental kernels?  If so, which is the most stable version
 RB> folks here have experience with?

Can you talk a little about the hardware configuration?

 RB> This is my private system and gets almost no traffic, as
 RB> compared to the heavily-bombarded ISP systems I built at
 RB> Pioneer Global.  I'm about to write up another posting about
 RB> those...

We have a 2.0.29 system running as a directly connected web server and mail
server, and it has been rock solid.

-- Mike