Modem question

I have to test a bunch of modems and am curious to know if it will cause
the average modem harm to call it on the phone and listen for the two
tones and squirrel fight with the telephone to be sure it is up.  It's
a pain in the ass to dial everything out manually by terminal and I don't
want to write a script to end with a +++ath and check for an OK.  Um, I do
not want to "break" them with a manual phone call and no clean hangup
either.

It's a general question, so I am looking for a general answer, if
possible.  Anyone have a thought or two?

Chuck Young