One IP for multiple machines

Hi -

	I think Jerry Feldman does something like this.  He'll
be along momentarily to explain it all.

	I do something similar using a Linux box with Apache to set up
a PPP connect to my ISP.  Apache supports proxy service, so all of my
local machines on the ethernet (w/bogus 192.168.0.* addresses) can
access web services by way of the Linux box.  I don't get direct
telnet from Windows, but I can use QVTterm to hop up to the Linux box
and telnet from there.

	In my opinion, this is an ideal configuration for environments
that need limited internet access such as small offices and schools.
The Linux box can also serve as a mail hub for POP mail, a file server
via Samba and a USENET News hub for a limited feed and local
discussions.  If there's a lot of net traffic expected, the squid
object cache might reduce the overhead of fetching frequently accessed
pages.

	In my next house the Linux box that supports this service will
be an old 486 laptop in a plexiglass case bolted to the basement wall
:-).

chasb

-----
Charles C. Bennett, Jr. <ccb at acm.org>
UNIX Tools, OO Development, Project Management
  Free Encryption Software!    http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html