TCPIP on RHL 4.2 (Biltmore)

Can someone please help:

        I have set up the modem using the
configuration tool in the control panel (fvmw-2-95 I think)and configured the
phone number to dial and my username and password for my account on
Prodigy Internet in the network configuration tool. When I activate
the connection, I hear the modem dial and it sounds like it
is trying to connect, but when I try to telnet/use the browser
there is no connection and a few mins. later I hear the modem
resetting. If I leave the button ticked for trying again after I gave
been disconnected, the modem automatically dials again. I have
tried a variety of combinations of options from customize in the
network setup - but nothing makes any difference.

I have an internal 14.4 modem and an i486 running Red hat Linux on the
2nd hard drive. Do I need to pass some option to chat for the connection
to work?

                Thanks,
                        Andrew Gaskell.