TCPIP on RHL 4.2 (Biltmore)

     PLease bear with me - I'm a novice.

     I did the following:

     1. Added:

      daemon.debug                           /var/log/messages

      to /etc/syslog.conf

2. Did kill syslogd

3.Edited the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ppp, and changed line
57 to read:

connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-$DEVICE"

4.Restarted the ppp connection via the network configuration tool...

I don't get any new messages in /var/log/messages - isn't that where they are
supposed to be written to?

        So then I tried using minicom to connect, to see if I could figure out
what was happening.
It dials and then as it connects asks me to hit enter to begin a login. Instead
I type in my username and it prompts me for a password, which it accepts. I then
get some garbage across  the screen, which stops after a while and then I get
disconnected. It seems to like my password as if I type in a different
(incorrect) username or nothing, then my password doesn't work.

What I am doing wrong?? PLease help to end my sleepless nights.

- Andrew Gaskell.