http message

   From: "Jerry Feldman" <gaf at mediaone.net>

   > Has anyone seen this error before?
   > bind: address already in use
   > httpd: could not bind to port 80

   The hpptd daemon binds to port (listens) on port (eg. socket) 80. If
   another program has already grabbed that port, then you would see that
   message. Are you running more than 1 http daemon, such as Apache ???

Also, normally, when a program closes down a port, the kernel
continues to mark it "in use" for two minutes (I think), to ensure
that any loose packets out there addressed to the port get rejected
correctly.  The program that wants to open the port can disable this
behavior if it is coded to do so.  So it may be that you have to wait
a couple of minutes before you can restart your server.

Dale