2nd hard drive for Linux

On 20 Apr 97 at 0:47, John Abreau wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, Raymond Merigold wrote:
>
> > How do i configure a 2nd hard drive so i can install Linux on it and
> > still use my primary drive for Win95? I would like to boot from either
> > one.
When LILO is installed, it is set up with a default boot which can be
overridden. LILO can be set up to boot dos as well as LINUX. I had
this set up on my system a couple of years ago. Another method is to
use loadlin. loadlin is a DOS executable. I found that this was a
better alternative when I was running Windows 3.1 and sharing the
system with my wife. You place loadlin on your C drive. I set up a
bat file with the appropriate parameters. When DOS booted, I had
LINUX as one of the menu items. However, Windows95 kind of hides the
menu facility from you.

When you set up LILO, you can set up the boot parameter as:
boot = /dev/hdb

To set it up to boot windows 95 alternatively, you can add the
stanza:
other = /dev/hda1 # Your C drive assuming IDE
  table = /dev/hda
  label = msdos # or win95

BTW: Don't use the OS2 dual boot manager. One person who was at the
installfest today had that set up, and the boot manager refused to
boot from the linux partition. We had to boot from floppy.
|  Gerald Feldman <gaf at highway1.com>           |
|  Boston Computer Solutions and Consulting    |