Newton to UNIX Interoperability

Hi,

Some time ago I stumbled onto some interesting developments in hand-held
computers-to-UNIX interoperability.

I have been looking at some type of hand-held computer (such as the Pilot)
for some time, but have been upset that they really do not interoperate
well with any reasonable operating system (just windows).

Then I found a couple of pieces of software available for Pilot, and that
led to a Newton to UNIX interoperability package which (surprise, surprise)
has a binary for our favorite operating system, and IN ADDITION is actually
developed on Red Hat Linux and ported to other systems!!

> Automatically send email, print, and fax from your Newton's Mail,
> Print, and Fax Outboxes through your UNIX machine.

> Download packages to your Newton from your UNIX system.

> Newtl allows your UNIX system to communicate with your Newton using
> Steve Weyer's Slurpee Newton communications program. Although Newtl
> was originally developed for Newton development (using Makefiles and
> Newt source code on your UNIX system), it can, in fact, transfer any
> Slurpee-compatible text to and from your Newton soups!

> XNewtl adds a Tcl/Tk GUI to allow you to graphically grab email,
> faxes, and print jobs from your Newton!

> Newtl downloads packages, using the X-MODEM protocol, to
> ChickenWerks' YAPI program on your Newton!

Now that I have your attention, I will tell you that I have not spent any time
looking at this software, since I do not have a Newton, but I know that some
of you do, so the URL is: http://www.tcel.com/~aehall/newtl/
and also make sure you check out:

http://www.netaxs.com/~weyer/

for additional Newton goodies.

Warmest regards,

md
Jon "maddog" Hall                     Internet: maddog at zk3.dec.com
Senior Leader, UNIX Software Group    Executive Director, Linux International

Digital Equipment Corporation         Linux International
Mailstop ZK03-2/U15                   80 Amherst St.
110 Spit Brook Rd.                    Amherst, N.H. 03031-3032 U.S.A.
Nashua, N.H. 03062-2698 U.S.A.
WWW: http://www.unix.digital.com      WWW: http://www.li.org
Voice: +1.603.881.1341                Voice: +1.603.672.4557
FAX: +1.603.881.6424